"The third edition of the now-classic text Organic Psychiatry by William Alwyn Lishman should be a part of every neuropsychiatrist's library. It should also serve as a reminder that neuropsychiatric training programs must continue to promote personal clinical instruction, in the spirit of Lishman's prose, as a guiding bedside beacon to future practitioners."
-from a review of the third edition in Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
Over the past 30 years, thousands of physicians have depended on Lishman's Organic Psychiatry. Its authoritative and reliable clinical guidance was - and still is - beyond compare.
The new edition of this classic textbook has now been extensively revised by a team of five authors, yet it follows the tradition of the original single-authored book. It continues to provide a comprehensive review of the cognitive, emotional and behavioural consequences of cerebral disorders and their manifestations in clinical practice. Enabling clinicians to formulate incisive diagnoses and appropriate treatment strategies, Lishman's Organic Psychiatry is an invaluable source of information for practising psychiatrists, neurologists and trainees.
This new edition:
- covers recent theoretical and clinical developments, with expanded sections on neuropsychology and neuroimaging
- includes a new chapter on sleep disorders whilst the chapters on Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, Epilepsy, Movement disorders and Traumatic brain injury have been extensively revised reflecting the greatly improved understanding of their underlying pathophysiologies
- showcases the huge advances in brain imaging and important discoveries in the fields of molecular biology and molecular genetics
- has been enhanced with the inclusion of more tables and illustrations to aid clinical assessment
- incorporates important diagnostic tools such as magnetic resonance brain images.
With a Foreword by Marshal Folstein