This is the first end-to-end, full-color guide to telling powerful, actionable data stories using Tableau, the world's #1 visualization software. Renowned expert Lindy Ryan shows you how to communicate the full business implications of your data analyses by combining Tableau's remarkable capabilities with a deep understanding of storytelling and design.
Each chapter illuminates key aspects of design practice and data visualization, and guides you step-by-step through applying them in Tableau. Ryan demonstrates how "data stories" resemble and differ from traditional storytelling, and helps you use Tableau to analyze, visualize, and communicate insights that are meaningful to any stakeholder, in any medium.
Information Visualization in Tableau presents exercises that give you hands-on practice with the most up-to-date capabilities available through Tableau 10 and the full Tableau software ecosystem. Ryan's classroom-tested exercises won't just help you master the software: they'll show you to craft data stories that inspire action.
- The visual data storytelling paradigm: moving beyond static charts to powerful visualizations that combine narrative with interactive graphics
- How to think like a data scientist, a storyteller, and a designer -- all in the same project
- Data storytelling case studies: the good, the bad, and the ugly
- Shaping data stories: blending data science, genre, and visual design
- Seven best practices for visual data storytelling -- and common pitfalls to avoid
- Tricks and hacks you can use with any toolset, not just Tableau