This highly practical resource has been designed to support professionals working with students who have SLCN (Speech, Language and Communication Needs) following a mainstream educational curriculum. Structured as a flexible 10-session programme, it takes a holistic approach to learning, encouraging students to take an active role in their studies by identifying individual learning strengths and building a "toolbox" of successful strategies for revision.
With photocopiable pages and downloadable resources, the advice and skills explored in this programme can be adapted to suit students with a range of abilities and incorporated into a timetable that can be used flexibly, over as many weeks as necessary, with very little planning required.
Sessions focus on:
- Learning about revision and study methods, using a combination of visual, auditory and kinaesthetic techniques
- Creating a study skills folder and revision timetable
- Teaching command words (words used in exam questions) and exam preparation
- Building healthy study habits and managing anxiety
- Being proud of achievements and developing self esteem
- Setting goals and becoming independent
Created to support a range of students, including those with a known diagnosis of autism, developmental language disorder, dyslexia, dyspraxia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, this is an invaluable resource for all professionals looking to support young adults in the build up to exams.