Engagingly written by one of the world's leading scholarsin this field, this comprehensively revised edition tells the storyof Christian spirituality from its origins in the New Testamentright up to the present day.
- Charts the main figures, ideas, images and historical periods,showing how and why spirituality has changed and developed over thecenturies
- Includes new chapters on the nature and meaning ofspirituality, and on spirituality in the 21st century; and anaccount of the development and main features of devotionalspirituality
- Provides new coverage of Christian spirituality'srelationship to other faiths throughout history, and theirinfluence and impact on Christian beliefs and practices
- Features expanded sections on mysticism, its relationship tospirituality, the key mystical figures, and the development ofideas of 'the mystical'
- Explores the interplay between culture, geography, andspirituality, taking a global perspective by tracing spiritualdevelopments across continents