Use this beginner's guide to understand and work with Kubernetes on the Google Cloud Platform and go from single monolithic Pods (the smallest unit deployed and managed by Kubernetes) all the way up to distributed, fault-tolerant stateful backing stores.
What You Will Learn
- Set up a Kubernetes cluster in GCP
- Deploy simple Docker images using monolithic Pods
- Arrange highly available and highly scalable applications using Deployments
- Achieve zero-downtime deployments using the Service controller
- Externalize configuration using ConfigMaps and Secrets
- Set up batch processes and recurrent tasks using Jobs and CronJobs
- Install horizontal (sidecar pattern) services using DaemonSets
- Implement distributed, stateful backing stores using StatefulSets
Who This Book Is For
Beginners with basic Linux admin and scripting skills (Bash and Python). Proficiency with Docker is not required as all examples in the book use off-the-shelf public images from Docker Hub.